FOLLOW ME EVERYWHERE

Monday, January 30, 2012

UTOPIA

This week I realized that when it comes to nationality I am a pretty strange person. I both fully belong to the Dutch and to the Americans. They call me a third culture kid, but what culture is that exactly? I don't get to meet other third culture kids, I don't see them walking down the streets or can have a cup of coffee with them. I don't know who belongs to my culture, which is something that single culture kids can. Of course we are all people and who cares how people are labeled or where their parents come from, but I live in a country where they do not even celebrate Christmas properly and the songs my parents used to wake me up are so different than their songs. How many kids in this country can say that they grew up solely with Bob Marley and the Beatles? Honestly I like my Dutch life a lot too. I mean stroopwafels, dutch cheese and my home town do certainly rock. Not to mention the fact that they have great licorice. I am totally sneaking a dozen bags of those through customs if I were to move. So if third culture kids live everywhere, why can't I? Maybe someday I'll find them and we can all bring our own foods, traditions and parties and live together. In other words, utopia.


No comments:

Post a Comment